Monday, November 26, 2012

THANKZZZ


Lately I haven't been feeling as motivated to make posts about my own accomplishments. Blame it on the weather shift or a lack of photographable projects, but I think I have needed some space to soak in what I find awesome about other people. Focusing too narrowly on what I can/might/should be accomplishing over these recent years has had it's ups and downs, but this is everyone's tunnel vision, isn't it?


Don't get me wrong, ambition and self-motivation are necessary; However, I started realizing one of the main pitfalls of losing oneself to ambition is losing sight on the inspiring and beautiful accomplishments of others (or allowing it to make you bitter and self-loathing rather than inspired). So this Thanksgiving, I took stock in all the wonderful things that other people have accomplished and created, and let myself sink into a deep tryptophan-ic slumber.


This is an easy jumping off point to say that I was extremely thankful to my Father and fam down in Vermont for a most glorious Thanksgiving day meal. Namely, the BEST TURKEY I HAVE EVER HAD. Seriously. This was ridiculous. And my pops pulled out all the stops (hohoho).


This 20 pound beast was purchased from our friend and neighboring farmer Theresa. Theresa runs her farm on the four acres she and her husband own, raising select livestock and growing organic veggies. This turkey grew up on a lovely spot of land and my dad actually went down to meet the guy. It was a real pleasure to have a huge part of the thanksgiving day conversation revolve around food systems and eating locally (though bingeing on a 20 pound turkey is probably still well outside of "sustainable" eating).



They then brined the turkey overnight in a combination of citrus fruits, veggies and spices and stuck it in the oven at noon. It was truly the best turkey ever. Perfectly cooked, flavorful and it made for an awesome stock that I brewed up for leftovers. Dad was happy to make the switch to a broth after all the stuffing was gone (in his stomach). 



All this to say....you gotta stop and smell the roses, every dog has it's day, papa's got a brand new bag and that bag is full of clichés.


And of all the wonderful things I'm thankful for (the new Dirty Projectors album, discovering Mikhail Bulgakov, this and this and this; the last one is STEVE ALBINI'S FOOD BLOG!) I am very thankful that I can write all these things in this weird format online. It's weird and comforting, everything I like. And here's what I made: Meringue Pumpkin Pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment