Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lemon Lavender Bars


This weekend was filled with firsts. It was the first time I cooked with lavender, a plant I attempted and failed to grow last summer, but which I have always had the hankering to use in baked goods.

It was the first time I shot-gunned a beer, though it kind of just felt like "another way to drink beer," that is out of the side of it. Probably means I was doing it wrong.


It was the first time I tried to make my own business cards using a home-made lino-cut stamp and a newly donated (to me) typewriter. The typewriter needs a new ribbon and also my paper is a little too thick, but I loooooove typewritten font. mmmm.


This weekend I was also FINALLY able to throw this benefit I have long wanted to host. The benefit was to raise funds for the Kibale health clinic in Kyanyawara, a region in Western Uganda where I worked two years ago. 

I came to know the clinicians there and villagers who used the space, so this cause was close to my heart. The money all went to the purchase of condoms and other medical supplies for this tiny clinic servicing a community with many members suffering from AIDS.

The event was a huge success. I had such wonderful musicians and friends participating in the concert, the organizing, the decorating and the baking! I was a complete bonehead and forgot to take pictures of the show itself, but you can listen here and here and here for a smattering of the many talented people I know. 


Anyway, along with the aid of my talented baker friend Johanna (Who ALSO has a food blog! what what!) I made these awesome lemon lavender bars. They have a subtle lemon flavor, not too sweet, with a delicious thick lavender shortbread crust. Seriously awesome. 

The above cookies were also delicious...Joy the Baker's recipe for Brown Sugar cookies. They are super simple and quench the desire for a cookie like nobody's business (that is also a hilarious saying).



Lavender-Lemon Square Recipe

Makes: 24 
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes

Crust
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almonds, ground
2 teaspoons dried lavender flowers
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Filling
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a medium bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar. Add the flour, ground almonds, lavender and lemon zest. Beat until dough looks like crumbs. Press dough into an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden brown. 

For the filling, combine sugar, flour, baking soda, eggs and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour over warm crust. Bake for another 20-25 minutes until top is light golden brown. Remove and let cool. Cut squares and lightly dust with confectioner's sugar. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout girrl! Might steal your pics for an entry of my own if that's cool!

    ReplyDelete